It happens. All the time. Sometimes just when things seem to have finally returned to normal. Sometimes when things are at rock bottom. Sometimes for the better. Sometimes for the worse. Change. It is that inevitable, unavoidable consequence of being alive. In some senses it is change that gives us desire to live because we are always trying to gain something better or are anticipating the next thing in life. Change. It is comfort's fiend that calls us to the next stage of life—or sometimes jerks us, or shoves us, or drags us kicking and screaming. There is no profit in resistance. It is change. It is inevitable.
I have painted change in a very negative light. Indeed it feels very negative at times. Sometimes it hurts on a personal level, or it pulls us out of our comfort zone, or it takes something or someone from us who we love, but I like the words of John F. Kennedy who said, "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
It is true. To live in the past is to deny God's work in and through my life in the present. And to demand that things in the present remain the same is to assume that God has nothing better for me in the future—to say that at the age of 22 God has already shown me the best He has and has used me in all the ways He desires to use me. I think not. Yes, I will remember the past so full of many fond memories. Yes, I will live the present to fullest and do my best to enjoy every moment. But no, I will not deny the change required to move into the future with God.
Great post! Enjoy reading your blog Doug. Miss you and we love you!!
ReplyDeleteLove Aunt Angie :)