Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

On Pain and Love

I saw an interesting post on Facebook. I don't have it in an exact quote here, but the gist of it was that love so often gets blamed for pain, heartache and brokenness when in reality, love is the opposite of all those things.

We end with a broken heart after a relationship and we blame love. We end up hurt after a friend breaks our trust and we blame love. A family breaks apart and the pain that results is blamed on love.

I think I agree with the quote. Now...to those you who know me very well, you know that I've gone through stages of severe cynicism toward love. Part of it was put on and part of it was rooted deep in my heart. But...I begin to see (and this quote opened my eyes in a new way) that real love isn't the cause of pain. Real love is beautiful. Perfect love casts out fear. It's kind. Perfect lovetrue love--never fails.

Sometimes we get hurt because we expect love to fill our emptiness and hopelessness. The problem is that true love is not self-centered, so when we end up disappointed because love has not met our expectations, we blame love and become bitter toward it.

Too often this is because what we experienced was not real love. It was not love that puts the other person first no matter how difficult or inconvenient it may be. The best kind of love is that in which both people are whole-heartedly committed to the good of each other.

May I be so bold as to say (and I don't believe this thought is original with me) that love is not about "give and take." It is, rather, about give...and give...and give more. If two people are dedicated to this, I believe there is a high probability of success in the relationship.

Perhaps I have digressed a bit. Back to the original thought...it is not love that is painful, but love that is unaccepted, rejected, or trampled upon. Love itself is a beautiful treasure from God
a treasure that hides a multitude of hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment