Not much to say in this post. Just wondering if we too often try to explain away the true meaning of this verse:
For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. (Luke 18:25)
Sometimes we would point to verse 27 which says,
And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.
This is true, and I'm in no way trying to discount that verse. I believe that things that are impossible with men are possible with God, and in order to take verse 25 in context, you have to take verse 27 into consideration. There is also the argument that the "needle's eye" was a gate in Jerusalem that was so small camels had to be unloaded and sent through on their knees. I suppose that is possible, but I have also heard that theory tossed out.
This post is not intended to judge anyone or to determine an answer. I simply wonder...what if Jesus just meant what he said? What if it really is easier for a camel to fit through a literal needle's eye than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God? Assume I were to get a job that would make me rich somehow. Perhaps I should be pouring the majority of the money into God's work instead of saving it for myself. What good is it to die rich trying to push camels through needles' eyes and miss the Kingdom of God? I'd far rather spend forever with Him than have a few measly dollars here. It runs cross-grain to the American Dream, but in eternity the perspective will all be different.
No comments:
Post a Comment