Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Indescribable

I have a song recommendation.  You should listen to Indescribable by Christ Tomlin.  The song is one that is fairly familiar to me, but last night I heard something in it that I don't ever remember noticing before.  On Friday night I was talking with a couple of friends, and it was mentioned how much God loves us and how a passionate love relationship with God should be the basis for everything else in our lives—from our relationship with God to the principles that and rules that we follow in our own lives.

  We all know that I think.  That's the idea that we often promote, but I'm afraid we often miss that concept.  I know I do.  But last night I was just doing some stuff on my computer, when Indescribable came on Pandora.  I don't even really remember noticing very much of the song until the second-to-last line sank into my consciousness.

You see the depths of my heart, and You love me the same. You are amazing God.

I went and bought the song and looked up the lyrics because it was truly an epic thought.  All of the rest of the song talks about how amazing God is because He is so powerful, and strong, and omnipotent.  He controls the stars and the lightening bolts.  Creation reveals His majesty. 

Another line of the song says, "Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim, 'You are amazing God.'"  It is a thought far too infinite and intangible for my mind to comprehend that the indescribable, uncontainable, all-powerful, untameable, incomparable, unchangeable God would even deign to recognize us, to recognize me, humbly bowing before Him, groveling in a sense as  I realize my suffocating unworthiness  to be in His presence or even to say His name.  But a far greater thought is this: God does not love me because of anything I have or have not done or anything I will or will not do.  He does not love me because of anything I can do for Him.  He does not love me because I can defend Him or protect Him.  Why does He love a wretch like me?  This I cannot explain, yet He sees the depths of my heart—the imperfections ,the battles, the failures, the wounds, the brokenness, the hopeless inability to make myself good enough and somehow…by some power or love that I cannot begin to comprehend He loves me the same.  His love for me is not diminished.  He doesn't write me off as worthless.  He, Creator God, God of All Power, loves me.  I am humbled at the thought.  I cannot explain why One so great would love one so insignificant.  But He does.  This I know...

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  (John 3:16)

Hallelujah!

1 comment: